Monday, October 17, 2005

Of crying collegues...

I usually have no reason to like monday mornings..for one it means that i have to wait 5 more days for the weekend..which actually for me means only 6-8 hours of lab work that day and may be a couple of delicious hours in the morning to sleep.Hmmmmmmm.....that is perhaps the best part able to sleep in till 9 in the morning...well here i go digressing..so back to the topic..the other reason i hate mondays is becos of the Group meetings that are only for 2 hours but after it gets over i feel so tired and drained..mainly becos of the petty politics in the lab..:(
it was not always like this in our group but these days everyone seems to get on everyones nerves and my collegues all seem like a 5 year petulant kids who want everything their way...
so i got a new sonicator and some nice lab toys for myself after 3 years of struggling on things that are hopelessly beyond redemption..i decided that is it ..marched myself in to my budda's office ( My Boss :D ) and told him i need to buy pipette sets and a new sonicator..if u think i got in trouble with my budda u guys were wrong..he did not even say a peep he just nodded and said order them....:)
I did and all my new toys came in ..i was so happy and that is when it started...my lab is a good international mix.. we have a dilligent , smart desi..that is me..a chinki collegue, a french post doc, a kiwi, a jamaican and not to mention my budda is an australian....and some american collegues and most of the graduate students are girls and their lies the problem... my american collegue C is an year senior to me and she is like this spoiled brat who has to have watever she wants...
well she wanted to use my sonicator ...just for the heck of it and for no particular reason...but i ordered it for a specfic purpose and someone else using it might contaminate it....she literally threw a hissy fit...all this happened last week..
today i was supposed to present in the group meeting and after my presentations ppl were allowed to ask questions and she was really making some irritating remarks saying this assumption of mine is faulty and presentation was long..and blah..blah...blah...
so my budda finally asked her wat her problem was and then she burst in to tears right there in the group meeting and said that she needs the sonicator to dissolve her compound and that iam not allowing her to do so....
my boss looked at me and i told him iam using it for a specific thing and the reason i said she cant use it is becos watever i have in their might kill her stuff..well she was crying and so my boss was like let her use it...
i felt so mad....may be i need to throw a hissy fit to get things done too and may be cry...:(
but i can never do that in front of others.. may be its about time i learnt that too becos this collegue of mine seems to get watever she wants this way...
it is so depressing...:(
jeenu

14 comments:

Rays Of Sun said...

Jeens,

Wowie..we gals are so close in our ramblings!! I havent read the entire post yet:D..So hmm..even you guys use sonicator, huh!! I thought this was a formulation thingie (am a formulation scientist, BTW)

Well, I have some useful inputs here..but lemme read the whole thing first:)

vi said...

Jeenu,
Girl that is terrible!
It is really stressful to work when you have to deal with "strange" people...that was really immature of her!...here is hoping the rest of your week is better!
Take care

vi

Rays Of Sun said...

Oh Jeenu,

I understand what you are saying coz its so usual! For me fridays are the most distressing times cpz its then that we have our group meetings and myself being an overtly senstive person, react to anything that I cannot handle. Dont worry..its better to maintain the work decorum and there are certain things that you have to live with..lab people come under that category!
So relax gurl..monday is over:)

Bhole said...

Jeenu,

Reminded me of the lab politics when I was in grad school. I tried to stay away from it...but the seniors would always drag us in. Imagine a lab full of desis. I told myself when they graduate and move on, I will make this a better place.

Bhole

Rays Of Sun said...

Oye cool girl.

Still steaming or what?? Write back soon..naheeto flight pakadke VA aana padega:D
Hugs!
ROS

aria said...

Awww Jeenu. Heres me too - wishing you a better week!

Btw LOL @ diligent , smart desi..a chinki collegue, a french post doc, a kiwi, a jamaican and budda australia plus amreekans! Poora International Integration lagta hai.

jeenu said...

hey ROS
it is nice to hear from u gal..i feel much better today anyways the american collegue used the sonicator and guess wat her proteins i think went bad ya something..she was so quiet after that today..sorry for the delayed response..i just packed my bag after the blog and went home and just crashed down with a novel..usually makes me feel better..
ROS u r more than welcome to VA :D
hey Vi
thanks for u r kind words..just looking at all the juntas reponses makes me feel great that i have some awesome buddies here :)
haan Bhole
it is so difficult to work in a lab full of desis ..i have heard of the horror tales of lab politics in those conciditions..one of my great friend had to change lab becos of that..it is sad that we desis cant stick together and work together too:(
hey aria
thanks for your wishes..iam already feeling better:)
yeah my lab used to be a fun place until the lab politics started :)
cheers
jeenu

Nandya said...

sad...but quite true with large groups..but a group with lot of guys...these things somehow dont culminate into histrionics but rather subtle things...

jeenu said...

hi nandya
i do agree with that..some how groups with lots of guys atleast seem to have less histronics..may be a right balance of girls and guys are needed in the lab...but i also feel that if ppl are a little cool things then can be handled professionally whether there are groups with lot of girls ya boys...
cheers
jeenu

Rays Of Sun said...

#jeens,

Ask me..ek akeli desi in a lab full of desis:( Bheed mein tanhyaee

jeenu said...

ohhhhh ROS
now that is sad we desis are far away from our home dont u think it makes sense for us to stick with each other and help each other out..
in the end becos of all the politics everyone feels alone and no one feels comfortable..
is this concept so difficult to see and understand..
i just sometimes get frustrated with these things...
jeenu

Thanu said...

Jeenu,
I hate when girls cry to get what they want. I can not stand those kinds. They make us the normal kind look bad. I agree with Nandya, when there is a grp of guys things like these never happen, even if they did, it gets resolved casually.

jeenu said...

hey thanu
could not agree with u more..they def give normal gals like us bad name
cheers
jeenu

Ginkgo said...

ah how kiddish u r :P