Sunday, May 21, 2006

of Graduations and grand kids:)

This was the Graduating weekend in my school and i got to attend the first graduating ceremony in my department. the first part of the ceremony is called as walking the lawn where graduating students from different deparments in the university walk the length of the historic"lawn" as it is refered to in the university circles to much delight of their family and friends.
As the students were walking i could see so many parents who were so proud of their kids, i think today i was in the one of those places where there was no malice or discontent in any of the hearts..the entire area which was jampacked with people was redolent with love and hope.
One sight that caught my eye was that of a frail old man sitting in his wheel chair all hunched up. he was attended by one of his kin but for most part he was sitting very quietly. in my estimate he seemed to be in his late 80's. the heat and humidity of the place seemed to suck the energy right out of him but still i never once heard him complain and as the students starting walking the lawn i saw life comeback in to his eyes and he sat up straight in his chair and then suddenly he was standing up waving wildly to a blond haired boy , there was tears down cheeks but i saw the spark of life in them too. His face perhaps best reflected to me the feelings of a parent on seeing that the their future generation was well of in to the next step. After the kid passed him he slumped back in to his chair but there seemed to be some quiet contenment in him and i imagined that from come from the fact that in some little way the future is secure for his Grand kid ( i came to know that later) and in a little way he has contributed to it.
somehow the old man's face stuck with me all day and so i decided to blog about it and also dream a little about my own graduation...

Jeenu

9 comments:

aria said...

So sweet ..
I felt like enrolling for my PhD right now .. :D

jeenu said...

hey aria
my dept is looking out for students rite now..would not mind enrolling you in...all i have to do is show them ur awesome blogs..:D

cheers
jeenu

vi said...

Hi jeenu nice blog!
I never attended any of my convocations :(

So will your folks be coming for your convocation?

vi

jeenu said...

hey Vi
i hope so..it would be awesome to have my parents then..:)
well Vi i did not attend my convocations either..so i plan to attend this one def after the trip yesterday :)
cheers
jeenu

Ginkgo said...

wat..dreaming abt the old man:o

Jeenuuuuuuuuu

ah boy..how cud u not attend ur grad ceremonies..
I did attend my UG plus my MS one..
both are to be cherished..:-)

Dont ya worry..we shall attend ur graduating ceremony......however loooooooooooooong it takes :P

jeenu said...

hey Gi
well i def would if the budda has some money :D
well i know they are fun but somehow could not make it to mine..anyways i will be attending this graduation def and ..would love nothing more than having my own cheer squad with u in the lead ofcourse ..LOL

cheers
jeenu

Rays Of Sun said...

I know..it gives a feeling so warm:) One day you will walk down the green grass and we will all clap in unison:)

jeenu said...

hey ROS
iam sure that we will both walk the lawn sometime soon..:D
well glad to know that u guys will be there i will hold ur word :)

cheers
jeenu

Priya Sivan said...

Jeenu..nice blog. It is a proud moment :)